Fix Printer Problems In Windows 10 | Windows 10 Printer Problems [Solved]
Fix Printer Problems in Windows 10
Most of us use printer in our day to day life, we use printer to print pictures, or print important letters. It is quite imperative for us to have our printer working. Imagine a situation when you are trying to use your printer to print something important and your Windows 10 is not able to communicate with printer and you are not able to print. This has happened with me a lot, and probably you might have faced the same problems with your windows 10 pc and printer.
Here we address common printer problems in windows 10 and how to fix them. Mostly these printer problems are not because Windows 10 is not working right, or your printer has gone bad, however these are just small printer communication errors that happen due to mis-configured printer settings in Window 10.
Fix Printer Problems in Windows 10
Let’s jump into Windows 10 and printer to find fix of printer problems,
Before trying to fix printer problem in Windows 10, it is better to check if printer hardware is working.
At first, we will check if problem is with printer or Windows 10. It is not that printer problems do not happen because of printer hardware issues; hence it becomes imperative to check printer hardware first.
- Check whether your printer cables are connected properly, and they are not broken.
- Check if you printer requires manual start, most modern-day printers, like Deskjet printer, laserjet printer and photosmart printers with show warning on front panel.
- Make sure your printer is clean, as dust and paper particles effect inner working of printer.
- If printer is on wired network, check router and cables are connected and router is on.
- If printer is wireless, then try to print wireless diagnostics page. Wireless diagnostics or information page of your printer will tell you if your printer has correct IP address and connected to network. If you get Ip address starting with 169, then it means your printer is generating false IP address and you must connect printer to wireless network again to fix the problem.
Troubleshooting, Printer problems in windows 10 using Microsoft.com utility.
Troubleshooting in Windows 10 may help you fix printer problems in Windows 10.
- Download and run this ‘Troubleshooter from Microsoft‘. This will open new Window of Windows 10 printer troubleshooter.
- Click on the ‘Printer’ option and then click the ‘Next’ option.
Printer Troubleshooting Problems
- The Windows 10 Fix tool will start looking for problems and will fix printer problems in Windows 10 automatically.
If Windows 10 problem fix tool did not fix your printer problems, then you might have to fix your printer problems manually. To this printer problems in windows 10 manually follow these steps.
Add Printer Again
- Press ‘Win + R’ > Type control printers > This will open Printers & Scanners’.
- Right click on your printer and then chose remove device.
- Unplug and plug your printer USB chord.
- Click on add device at the top and chose printer, Windows 10 will automatically detect your plugged-in printer and install it.
Update the Drivers Manually
Many times, your printer drivers go out of date and cause printer problems in Windows 10.
- Go to ‘Start’ and search for ‘Device Manager’ and hit ‘Enter’ key.
- Look for the ‘Printers’, click on the little icon at left-hand side to drop-down the list of printers.
- Select your printer and right-click on it, then choose ‘Update Driver Software’.
Update Driver Software for Printers
- Click on search automatically for printer drivers and this will update your printer drivers. Most probably this will fix printer problem in Windows 10.
Other options are if you have downloaded driver from printer company website then you can choose to install drivers manually.
- Instead of selecting install printer drivers automatically, chose install printer driver manually, then browse to location where you have saved printer drivers. Once you have done it you will be able to install new printer drivers. This might fix your printer problem in Microsoft Windows 10.
If updating drivers doesn’t work then you can try removing printer drivers, here is how you can remove printer drivers.
- Go to ‘Windows Settings’ app and then navigate to ‘Devices > Printers & Scanners’.
- Find your printer, click on it to expand options and click on ‘Remove device’ button.
- Go to the ‘Start’ menu, type ‘Print Management’ and press ‘Enter’ key.
- Select all the printers, right-click on it and ‘Delete’ all of them.
- Restart your PC, plug back the printer’s cable and start installing the drivers again.
You can also manage drivers from ‘Print Management’ window.
Manage Drivers in Print Management
Clear and Reset the Print Spooler Files
If above options do not work then your printer’s print spooler is not working. Printer spooler help printer communicate with your Microsoft Windows 10.
- Go to ‘Start Menu’ and search for ‘Services’ and hit ‘Enter’ key.
- Click inside the list of the services and hit ‘P’ key to jump to the names starting with ‘P’. You’ll see the ‘Print Spooler’ file right there.
- Right-click on it and choose ‘Stop’.
Stopping Print Spooler Service
- Now, go to the taskbar and copy-paste this line %WINDIR%system32spoolprinters in the search box and hit ‘Enter’ key to open it.
Print Spooler File Path
- Delete all the files of this folder and go to the ‘Services’ again. Find the ‘Print Spooler’, right-click on it and choose ‘Start’.
Set Default Printer
Sometime Windows 10 cannot manage to set correct default printer. Usually it happen when you have multiple printer connected, or you have not removed your old printer form Windows 10. It is quite Simple to set default printer in Windows 10.
- Go to ‘Control Panel’ and change the view to large icons.
- Search for ‘Devices and Printers’ option.
- Click on any of the connected printer and choose ‘Set as default printer’ option.
Setting Default Printer in Windows 10
This will bring prompt that Windows 10 will not manage your default printer, click ok on that and you should be able to set default printer yourself.
Now once you have followed the above steps, you would like to verify if printer problem with Windows 10 is fixed. Follow these steps to printer test page:
- Go to ‘Printers & scanners’ settings.
- Click on the printer you want to test and choose ‘Manage’.
- On the next screen click on ‘Print a test page’ to test whether you can print a test document.
Printing a Testing Page
You can also run the troubleshooter from this screen.
If you have successfully performed the above steps and you are still not able to fix printer problems with Windows 10, you might have to perform advanced troubleshooting, and make changes in registry. To help you fix printer problems with Windows 10, we have setup a helpline where you can call us and seek help with technicians. Our technicians will follow advanced troubleshooting steps provided on Microsoft.com to help you fix printer problems with windows 10.